Friday, August 04, 2006

Stay, don't sway

When you have inherited low blood pressure from your mum and are particularly susceptible to motion sickness, dizzy spells are nothing out of the ordinary.

Unless you're on the 65th floor and wondering why you're also feeling tremors. You turn to glare at your desk partner, but he isn't tapping his feet or doing anything out of the ordinary.

But outside the winds are violently whiplashing the building and you realise that you're not the only one feeling dizzy. A commotion builds up within the office. That's allowed when the building you're in is actually swaying, being tossed by the windy arms of Typhoon Prapiroon.

The feeling of seasickness when you're sitting down at your desk is terribly unsettling. I contemplated taking a break and going down to the lobby, but I also happen to be a workaholic and a swaying building wasn't going to keep me away from my work.

Returning to my apartment in the evening, I walked up to the glass doors only to find everything taped up. Precautionary measures. I believe them. I could barely cross the road as the winds tried to force me in the opposite direction.

It's all so very scary and exciting. A strange lullaby to lull me to sleep.

No comments: