Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I don't wear brands, not because I can't afford it...

It's because I wouldn't know it if it were staring me in the face!

Little girls growing up in the ranks of Malaysia's low to mid-class aren't meant to be able to tell their Fendi from their Gucci from their Prada. All girls, no matter how young, old, rich or poor in Hong Kong own at least one guinuine (or fake) Gucci bag. But one must learn fast to keep up.

I still recall the days when a Coach bag was beyond reach. Until I reached out for the price tag one day and realised I could probably afford a few and still have more than enough for a Vivienne Tam dress and would not starve to death. How the mighty brands have fallen when you reach a certain stratosphere of society. Nevertheless it is a vicious climb to the top and when once I used to dream about buying my first pair of Nine West shoes with my hard earned money, I now have a cupboard full and am eyeing instead a gorgeous red pair of Valentinos, at a 500% premium to my once upon a time coveted Nine West pumps. Nine West has become Bata Coach has become (well I don't really know a cheap bag brand) and the road to Nirvana is a Chanel Maxi Bag (because I'd rather not waste my time queuing for a Hermes Birkin). Besides Chanel Bags only appreciate in value, a better investment than say Mortgage Backed Assets these days...

But the more I learn to tell the difference between my Bottega and Balenciaga the more I long for the unknown nameless boutiques back home where I pick up all my cheap dresses and don't feel guilty tossing it after a couple of wears. Or perhaps, its more a yearning for identity and uniqueness and that little something that still makes me quirky because I'm wearing something you can't identify from a High Fashion Catalogue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kapitan: I think is both!